Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Duke/UNC Rivalry

Continuing with our discussion of using the senses to teach history, we were assigned a project in which we would create a soundscape, relating to some area of local interest. Of course, being the Duke fan that I am, I chose to use the Duke/UNC rivalry as the basis for my soundscape. I am attempting to inform people about the rivalry through sound alone. It was a fun project. Anyone who loves basketball knows that there are a great deal of sounds associated with the sport, and especially Duke and Carolina. These two teams have a long history and have created a very unique culture in North Carolina. I hope you all enjoy this brief history lesson, and I hope it gets you all excited for this upcoming basketball season. It did me!

Well, its not giving me and option to upload my soundscape, so until then you can just imagine what it would sound like....sorry!

The first clip is one that I found on Youtube of Bob Harris giving the play-by-play of the famous Christian Leattner shot vs. Kentucky in the regional finals of the NCAA tournament in 1992. Bob Harris is the voice of the Duke Radio network, and has become quite the historic figure himself, following the Blue Devils to all 4 NCAA titles. The second clip is one that I recorded of the Cameron Crazies doing one of their famous chants at a basketball game (You can hear me in the background!). The third clip is another clip I found on Youtube about the rivalry between Duke and UNC. This is the longest clip and you hear from players of both teams, as well as Dick Vitale, who we know gets a little too excited about the big game! This is followed by the Carolina Fight Song (I had to be fair!), and then a sound clip of my brother shooting around in our church gym. Hope you enjoy!

No comments: